Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"Free" Labor

One of the unavoidable realities facing a startup is the need for unpaid help to get things going. But how free that labor is has become more and more unclear to me recently.

My current set of patents will spawn at least 4 companies (I hope 2 will make it...) and I need marketing research help, patent legal aid and development work to get things to the point where I can get a good Round 1 investment.

So the legal folks keep "re-prioritizing things" and I am STILL waiting to get patents filed. The marketing research people are "hopefully going to start working on things soon" and I only have one developer besides myself willing to work on the cheap. Note - on the cheap not free. In fact all of the money I have raised thus far has gone to pay this one developer and he has lived on my startup for 5 months while I yet to make anything on it.

So how free is free???

No comments:

Post a Comment