Thursday, October 29, 2009

Going to Windows 7

Intermixed with everything else that is starting to ramp up, I wanted to chronicle my move from XP to Windows 7.

First of all there is NO SUCH THING - you do not "upgrade" from XP - you have to completely reformat your hard drives and install Windows 7 from scratch.

So why the move? Well I have a very high end, custom system - 32 GB of RAM, 5 TB RAID 5 system with dual quad core processors. Well this high end system lasts about 48 hours on Windows XP 64-Bit and then I need to reboot it. If I do anything labor-intensive (you know as in why I got this level of machine to start with) then that 48 rapidly dwindles.

So I am going to suck it up and "upgrade". I have contacted all of the hardware folks and supposedly Windows 7 is unlike anything else on the market and I do not need a ton of additional drivers...we shall see.

Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment