Friday, October 30, 2009

Impressive Install!

So I copied my 150+ GB of My Documents data onto an external hard drive and started the install...and I was amazed!!!

First the install actually read my internal RAID card without any of those annoying floppy drive inserts. Now, mind you, it took me about 3 days to get XP to read this same card - way to get caught up Microsoft!

The install itself is the easiest thing in the world - but also a bit disconcerting. After telling the install to use my existing C: drive, numerous things happen and Microsoft does a great job of keeping you in the loop. The system then reboots several times and you get to the final step where Windows 7 is configuring your system.

Now for those of us who have had Windows configure our systems in the past, this really means writing out the registry, asking you for your timezone and other nonsense. So when Windows 7 sat there for about 45 minutes without moving at all I thought "oh crap here we go again"

Good news - have patience! Windows 7 actually went out and configured all of my peripheral devices - my Blackberry, scanner and every other USB connected device. Further, Windows 7 actually figured out the correct drivers for my custom graphics and audio cards - not the "generic Driver" garbage from the past - but the actual drivers I was going to install myself after the setup was complete. Absolutely amazing!!!

This was easily the most pain free, easy, impressive Windows install I have ever done (and I have literally done them all). Now all it seems that I need to do is to install my programs, move my data back over and I am back in business!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment