Saturday, October 31, 2009

Firewire sucks and Vista to The Rescue

So I had moved my very large My Documents folders to my external HD rather quickly - 25 minutes - via a firewire. It took 10 hours to move it back from the external HD to my computer. That SUCKED!!!

Furthermore it was not necessary - WIndows 7 packaged up everything I had in Windows XP into what it calls Windows.old - literally everything was there and there was no need to move anything...oh well.

On a more interesting topic, I had said that all of my deivces had automatically been discovered and setup - I was wrong. My wireless HP printer did not install - so I tried to install it manually - but no luck as Windows 7 did not have the driver. I then went to the HP site but they did not offer any Widnows 7 drivers for my high end printer - seriously?!?

I never thought I would say this but Vista ended up saving me! I wondered if I just installed the 64-bit Vista driver what would happen. Sure enough, I installed the driver, Windows 7 "upgraded" that driver and now my printer works even though HP officially does not offer a Windows 7 driver for it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment